If you are interested in Civil War history, you can visit Fortress Rosecrans, built by Brig. Gen. James St. Clair Morton. The fort was a Union supply depot that was abandoned at the end of the war. Now, the fortress is a golf course. Read on to learn more about this historic site. Here is a map of the grounds. Read on to learn about the history of the fort. A great place to also visit is Oaklands Mansion
During the American Civil War, the Army of the Cumberland occupied Murfreesboro, TN on January 4, 1863. As part of their defenses, Union General William Rosecrans built a 225-acre earthen fort. Morton's Pioneer Brigade was responsible for directing the labor of nearly forty thousand men. The four thousand men worked in eight-hour shifts to clear the land, excavate moats, and build reinforced earthen parapet walls. Morton also added a steam saw mill and a powder magazine. Fort Rosecrans also included fifty cannon, including two fortifications.
The Army of the Cumberland had been heavily dependent on the Nashville-Chattanooga railroad, which was continuously attacked by Confederate raiders. In order to protect this railroad, the Army of the Cumberland built a string of forts in the rear, and a centerpiece supply base named Fortress Rosecrans. Fortress Rosecrans was an earthwork of over 200 acres, and was the largest Civil War fort ever constructed. It held millions of supplies, enough to feed an army for 80 days.
Fortress Rosecrans, a Union supply depot in the middle of Tennessee, was constructed during the American Civil War. It was built to protect the railroad and supply warehouses. It was designed by Union engineers to house up to 10,000 men and store enough supplies to last 90 days. As a result, the fortress was crucial to Union efforts to drive Confederate forces from the middle of Tennessee and capture Chattanooga.
General John Bell Hood of the Confederacy planned to take Murfreesboro for a Confederate supply depot. Hood's plan was met with failure when Forrest and Bate combined forces, leaving him without support at Nashville. The Confederate soldiers fought for days, with the Union army gaining control of Murfreesboro on July 6.
Fortress Rosecrans, also known as the "Rosecrans Fort," was constructed by the Union Army in January 1863 to protect the town of Murfreesboro from the Confederate forces. The earthen fort was 225 acres in size and included a steam saw mill, powder magazine, and fifty cannons. Despite its size, the fort was abandoned at the end of the war and reverted to civilian life.
After the Battle of Chickamauga, the Union Army of the Cumberland marched from Murfreesboro, Tennessee, to the outskirts of Chattanooga. At this point, the Union army was in position to take the town of Chattanooga, the southernmost city in the Confederate Confederacy. Its strategic movements forced Bragg to abandon the city of Chattanooga.
Old Fort Park and Golf Course is a public golf course in a 50-acre park in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Located on the site of the fortress, it is the only golf course in the city. The course was designed by golf legend Gary Player and opened to the public in 2002. It features a scenic backdrop of the Tennessee River, a beautiful golf course, and historic grounds. Check this out
During the Civil War, the Union Army built Fortress Rosecrans in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. It was one of the largest earthen fortifications built during the Civil War. The fortress was named after General William S. Rosecrans, who was in charge of the Army of the Cumberland at the time. After the war, the fortification was abandoned in 1866. The course is now a golf course, but the old fort still has historic significance.
Driving Directions From Sanders Pressure Washing & Window Cleaning To This POI
Driving Directions To The Next POI
MURFREESBORO | SMYRNA | LAVERGNE | NASHVILLE | FRANKLIN | COLLEGE GROVE | NOLENSVILLE | CHRISTIANA | ROCKVALE | THOMSPON'S STATION | HENDERSONVILLE | GALLATIN | GOODLETTESVILLE | ANITOCH | WALTER HILL | LEBANON | MT. JULIET